[filmscanners] Re: LCD vs CRT for imageediting

At 05:41 PM 16/08/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>>ppatton@uiuc.edu wrote:
>>> A few years ago, I posed a question on this list about the
>>> relative value of LCD vs CRT monitors for editing scanned
>>> photos using applcations such as Photoshop.  At the time, my
>>> respondants indicated that a CRT monitor was strongly
>>> preferable to an LCD.  LCD monitors have improved a lot over
>>> the last few years.  I was wondering whether its still
>>> currently true that a CRT is better than an LCD for photo
>>> editing.  Can anyone suggest some monitors of either sort that
>>> I might want to check into?
>>> -Paul Patton
>
>I was just checking out some of the monitors recommended in
>the responses to my question about LCD vs CRT monitors.  I
>guess I should have specified that I'm an amateur photographer
>and had in mind an under $500 monitor.  In this price range is
>CRT still better than LCD?
>-Paul Patton

For the same reason as most on this forum I'd always steered clear of LCD's
until recently, when it became necessary to find something lighter to
transport (getting old & arthritic.)

After a lot of research, I settled on Dell's FP1905 and was quite surprised
how good it is (I'd been using a 17" Sony CRT -- now that the learning
curve is over I wouldn't go back.)

I finally paid $450 Australian for it (not from Dell -- they wanted nearly
$700...) so you should be able to find it Stateside for circa $300-350.

It uses the same panel as the Samsung 193P that's been selling here for up
to $1250.

One proviso: Use a reasonably good video card -- mine is Nvidia 6600GT --
use the DVI connection, not analog, and you may (will?) have to tweak the
video card's settings quite a bit before you're satisfied with it.

It may not be quite up to professional standard, but then nor am I, and I'm
quite happy with what it does -- my photo work is very satisfactory.

Charles