[filmscanners] Re: AR coatings

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, I believe AR coatings need to be
on the front/rear surfaces of the lens to do much of their work.  Some
lenses also have internal lens groups AR coated, but I do not believe it
can be sandwiched, because as I understand the optics, it is the glass
to air surface and differences in defraction that causes the principle
reflection to begin with.

I believe most AR coatings are actually a vaporized metallic material
that is "coated" to the glass or plastic surface, but it is literally a
couple of molecules or atoms thick.  Certainly, some of them are
vulnerable to harsh and caustic chemicals, like ammonia.

I have seen (and owned) some pretty costly lenses and they have had AR
coatings on the exposed "surfaces".

Art