[filmscanners] RE: HP PhotsSmart - questions

I would speculate that the impact that various dilutions of ammonia and
water or Windex with ammonia might have on optical surfaces, on mirrored
surfaces, and on flatbed scanner glass would depend (a) on if the
surface is coated or not and (b), if it is coated, on what the coating
is that is being used.

Many modern lenses tend to be multicoated while older lenses were not,
some flatbed scanner glass is coated while many flatbed scanners do not
use any sort of coating on the flatbed glass, and some front surface
mirrors tend to be more vulnerable than back surfaced mirrors.  Moreover
certain types of coatings may be more vulnerable to deterioration from
ammonia than others.

I know that eye glasses with anti-glare coatings on the lenses tend to
be negatively effected by ammonia based glass and/or plastic cleaners,
which eats away at the coatings; but some anti-UV coatings used on UV
protected glass is unharmed by ammonia solutions. Some of the color
correction multicoated lenses seem to have coatings on the glass lens
elements  that are less effected or not effected at all by ammonia
solutions, while plastic lens components with the same coatings may be.