[filmscanners] RE: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED

Hardly any detail loss with the minimum setting, and, yes, you can turn it
off.  There are four levels of IR correction, as I recall - off, light,
medium, and heavy.  With medium and heavy, you will notice some detail loss.
And I agree about turning it off for some films / images.  I shot several
rolls of Velvia 50 last Thanksgiving, and scanned with IR = off.  Used a lot
of compressed air, though!

I haven't ever compared the two scanners side by side for detail in shadows
- according to the specs, there should be more with the Nikon.  The overall
image quality just seems to be better.  On slide film, the colors are
better.  Again, better is subjective - depends a lot on film type, exposure,
etc. - the normal stuff!

Now that I have seen the images from a high end DSLR, though, I have to say
that I have never produced a scan as good as the image that my Nikon D2X
produces.  So, unless it's B&W, Infrared, or a shot needing a really wide
angle, when I use up my current batch of film, I don't expect to be shooting
too much more film.

I am not the one to talk about the hardware issues you have.  On my SS4000,
I started getting a dark line the full length of the scan, which almost
certainly indicated defects in the CCD sensor.  I am surprised that Polaroid
won't take the scanner back and keep working on it, given the fact that they
have already charged you for the repair.

If you aren't using Vuescan, I would highly recommend it - I don't know what
it costs now, but, at the time, it was a very good investment of $35.

Regarding someone else's suggestion about using a scuba tank for compressed
air - I checked into this in Dallas at a local dive shop:  1) the least
expensive tank setup they had was about $250; and, 2) I would have needed a
certificate from a diving school in order to fill / re-fill the tank!  I
didn't do it!.

Patrick Florer