[filmscanners] Re: Modern photography...

A-ha

You may be onto something...

1) Mold can be found on all surfaces, but especially organic ones, like
hands

2) Enlargers provide heat while in use, probably promoting mold growth

3) handled negs may end us with body oils on the edges which may
encourage growth of mold

4) possibly just the removal and exposure to mold filled air may
inoculate them

5) If you have a small collection of particularly cherished images, a
special box with silica gel, or even maybe some type of mild fungicide
may be appropriate.

Art