[filmscanners] Re: Modern photography...

There is nothing like B&W negatives for longevity. I'm not sure how much
advantage there is in medium format these days given the quality of 35m
film. If you use 300 dpi as a guide, you can figure out how many pixel
you need to get a good print.  I think you will be quite happy with a
film scanner scanning either you medium format or getting a new camera
and going 35mm .I don't think you will be happy with digital prints, at
least not the photo ink jet printers on the consumer market. I haven't
see a late model dye-sub, so I can't comment on that technology.

Just an FYI, digital cameras have color masks, so a desaturated image is
not really B&W.

All that said, I'm betting film will be the lunatic fringe in a decade.
Welcome to the asylum.