[filmscanners] RE: Compact Cameras

Hi Laurie,

> I am familiar with it and have heard good things about it from users; BUT
> that is one of the sorts of things that I consider as the EXTRA WORK
> required to remedy the issues I am speaking of. :-)

It's not an issue if you do a couple of things...as you touch on...

> First, I believe that
> you almost need to have a dedicated printer for B & W printing to use it:

Exactly.  That alleviates the issue you bring up of switching inks and
flushing.

> second you need to use special inksets.

For B&W, yes...quadtone inks.

> Third, even if you do
> not choose to
> use the CIS...

I suggest instead of CIS, getting a printer that has LARGE ink cartridges,
like the Epson 3000.  They are 4oz each I believe.  Very good size, compared
to something like the 1270/1280.

> ...but stick with carts so as to be able to switch easily between
> B&W and color, you need to flush the system of the previous inks in the
> printer prior to each changing back and forth from B&W to color.

...that, IMO, is a waste of time and money.  You'll spend more in money on
flush kits, and clogs than it's worth.  Printers are reasonably cheap, and
it's the ink that seems to add up in cost, at least for me.

> Another more expensive option which I am told helps to remedy the
> issues is
> to purchase a RIP to use with the printer instead of the printer's driver.

I personally recommend the Piezography set-up, though I use the original
Piezography that was actually developed by Sundance/R9, not by Inkjet
Mall/Cone as was claimed, though sold by them as Piezography.  Inkjet
Mall/Cone has a new system that I have not used.  I think the old stuff is
still available from R9 (www.bwguys.com).

Regards,

Austin