[filmscanners] RE: scanning at less than optical res

Art,

Bob clarified what he was referring to in a later post, which you may have
seen.  The gist of it was that the post on this list was a repost of a
response he made on another list where the original poster said that they
were essentially cropping a smaller portion of an image from a larger one
during the scan.  His reference to the large format scan was to a scan of
the total image versus reducing the scan to the cropped portion only.

> My UMAX Astra 1200S (Flatbed) definitely, at least in the direction of
> the scan "head", doesn't scan full optical if you choose a lower than
> optic resolution.  I can both see and hear the stepper motor change
> number or size of the discreet steps it uses.

My understanding is that the horizontal line of sensors define the optical
resolution and this definition is uneffected by the step motor operation
which controls the verticle movement of the horizintal line of sensors,
which are fixed.  Thus the size of the steps taken may change and probably
do, but the effective optical resolution remains the same and the reduction
in the size of the sample is a software instituted operation performed on
the full optical scan.