[filmscanners] RE: Genuine fractals?????

I beg to differ with you; but I am not going to get into a food fight with
you over it.  In the case of RAW, you are correct the dpi is somewhat
irrelevant in that raw files do not contain any reference to resolution per
se only to the size of the image X x Y pixels; however, if you save to a
standard non-RAW format, resolution does matter in that it is made part of
the file metadata which is used to instruct applications how to render the
image in the image file. However, in terms of the camera, there is not
specific settings that use the terminology or provide for options in ppi or
dpi terms per se.  The frequently set the effective resolutions in terms of
the maximum umber of pixels along the longest side that are captured but
assume that is will be divided by 300 dpi when written to the standard
non-raw file format.  This is what allows them to  point to print sizes that
can be produced at different quality levels depending on the quality
level/file format combination selected.

But more importantly, many if not all cameras do put resolution limitations
on what can be saved when it is being saved to standard non-RAW files.  The
two Nikon digital cameras and the Kodak pro 14/n that I own will not allow
one to save images to Jpeg file formats with resolutions certain maximum
effective resolution; wherein the TIFF format permits the highest ant the
JPEG format allows for lesser effective resolution depending on the
compreesion level selected.  To wit, capture an image at each of the
available quality and format combinations your camera allows (except RAW)
and open each image without any manipulation in Photoshop and check the
resolution of the opened image in the Photoshop Image/Image Size box in the
Resolution space.  I think you will find that they will have different
resolutions (dpi/ppi).  This is not after any resampling or after the image
has been through the printer and produced as a hard copy but as it is
rendered on the monitor display in ppi directly as imported from the camera
flash card.