[filmscanners] RE: Genuine fractals?????

I use the program frequently; and find that for most upsampling within the
normal ranges, it is not all that much different from Photoshop's Bicubic
methods.  It is in the extreme ranges of upsampling that the difference may
begin to appe      arandGFmaybegintoshine.

What I do not understand is, if you are concerned with quality, why are you
saving your digital camera captures to a Jpeg format which uses lossy
compression and which most digital cameras will not let you save captures at
resolutions in the 300 ppi range but tend to limit one to capturing at
resolutions less than 300 ppi.  If it were me, I would be saving the
captures to Tiff format files which most cameras allow to be saved at 300ppi
resolutions.  Resolutions of 72 ppi are common for web use but not for
printing and especially not for large prints; and Jpeg format is used so
that the user can capture on one card more images (assuming that they will
only be used for viewing online or via monitors or will only be printed at 4
x 6 sizes at best).

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> Anybody using Genuine Fractals as a way to up sample images?   My
> scanner provides very high resolution compared to my (current)
> digital camera, but
> there are times when I have taken an image with the digital camera
> that I
> would like to enlarge.  I've had some success with Photoshop's
> BiCubic - it depends on the image - but I've wondered about Genuine
> Fractals.
>
> I know the theory, and it makes a lot of sense to me, but my
> experience is
> that there is often some distance between theory and implementation.
>
> So, has anyone used Genuine Fractals as a primary means of up
> sampling to
> allow much larger prints than logically should be done from an
> original like
> a 1.5 MegPixel jpeg (down from a 5 Megpixel digital photograph)?

---