[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V vs Minolta Elite 5400

> The one issue that there is with Nikon scanners is that with their LED
light
> source, every single speck of dirt, scratch etc. can be revealed and
> cherished in their full glory.
Scratches are non-issue since ICE works great and doesn't take any sharpness
away from the picture.
If any scratch is visible, it's easily removed with the healing or cloning
tool in PS.
The real issue with Nikons scanners is shallow depth of field which doesn't
allow grain to be equally sharp in every corner of the frame, which is a
pity, especially in b&w scans in which I really want to see nice homogeneous
grain.
BTW I'm still interested if the new Nikon scanners, V and 5000 are better in
this respect from IV and 4000. Someone hinted that the LEDs now give more
light which makes possible stopping down the scanner's lens a bit more but I
wasn't able to verify the story.

Regards

Tomek