From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Mike Kersenbrock
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:34 AM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Software dust removal

Chris Aitken wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Further to my previous messages I have obtained a Scan Dual I on trial. I
> have tried it with the Vuescan trial version (and also the Minolta
drivers -
> so this must be a later model that works on XP).

As an alternative to blasting air at the negative before scanning as
mentioned to you already, there's a brush called 'staticmaster"
that has a polonium strip near the brush end that puts out alpha
particles (can't penetrate a sheet of paper, at best can do only
inches of air).  It removes static "instantly" from the film at
which point the very soft brush works very effectively.  Half life
of the polonium is very short so it's cartridge needs to be replaced
yearly (and buying old ones isn't useful).  They've been around for
at least a half century or so, and I just got another one a couple
days ago for use with my new film scanner.

The other thing is the obvious nobody's going to mention.  Borrow
a different scanner, one that features ICE in the software.  Gets
rid of dust and scratches amazingly and automatically.  :-)

Mike K.

or body

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.