[filmscanners] Re: Scan Dual IV vs Elite

on 11/2/04 4:40 AM, Al Bond at al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> Berry Ives wrote:
>
>> It seems like I have
>> heard of grain aliasing issues, or somesuch.  I am printing at 1440
>> dpi on watercolor paper with an Epson 2200.
>
> A couple of points.  Firstly, the Elite 5400 has a "grain disolver" feature
> which puts a diffuser in the light path.  Going by some review sites on
> the web, it does make a beneficial difference to the visibility of grain.
> The down side is that it does extend the scan time.
>
> Also, grain aliasing seems to be worse on scanners with a resolution in
> the 2700-2800 ppi range.  Scanning at a higher resolution is reported to
> be much better.  (I can't speak from experience on this as I don't have
> the Elite 5400, just the original Elite.)
>
> Even if the resolution is greater than you need, you can scan at full
> resolution and then downsample afterwards.  This, plus the grain
> dissolver, should give you much better results than the Dual IV,
> although it would probably be much slower.
>
> Of course, the Elite 5400 also has ICE which can come in handy.
>

> Al Bond

> body

Al,

Thanks for that info.  Regarding the 2700-2800 ppi range where you say the
grain aliasing is reportedly worst, the Scan Dual IV, at 3200 ppi, is beyond
that range.  I am wondering if anyone has had any specific experience with
the SD-IV where aliasing has been a problem.

Berry