[filmscanners] Re: Blue gray random pattern???

You didn't mention what he is scanning... transmissive or reflective.

If he is scanning something like a satin finish semi-glossy photo, I
have seen some scanners pick up "sparkles" or dots or shadows with
certain irregular surfaces. It does look like noise.  Also, does he have
the scanner software applying any type of sharpness?

I suspect this is something about either the surface of the paper he is
scanning or something in the way the software has been set.

Also, have you seen the file, or only the printer output?  The
translation of certain types of "noisy" anomalies like this often appear
quite differently in the file on screen than when they appear on a print
(I do understand it shows up on both).

Art