[filmscanners] Re: Scan Dual IV vs. Scan Dual II

Berry,,
OS X is basically a Unix system, I'm sure you've heard that.  #3 just means
that you have to have full privileges on the system - the administrator
privileges.  When you go to OS X you will find that there are differing
levels of privileges which define what you can do and administrator is the
only one who can install software.

#4 just means that the program controlling plug-in must have been written
for OS X.  There were programs that were cobbled together and would run
under OS X, but weren't native to the operating system.  These existed early
on for OS X, when there hadn't been time to rewrite everything to run under
OS X.  Generally, these required an added layer between the program and the
OS so that a translation could be done.  By now, most everything is native.

By the way, when you go to OS X, you will find that it will run OS 9.2 under
OS X.  This is so you can run legacy programs. I found that it worked, but
was not satisfactory (and you can't use the Minolta plug-in with say
Photoshop running under 9.1, for instance).

With OS X, you get a chance to learn UNIX, if you so choose, or not, there
is not real need.

Good luck,

Brad