[filmscanners] Re: Revive this list?!

I am in the process of purchasing my first film scanner. Although, I will,
at times, use the scanner to make 8 x 10 or larger prints, my primary goal
is to convert my 35mm slide collection to digital. At present, am tending
toward the Nikon Coolscan V. However, at a local photographic supply store,
the salesperson basically told me I was wasting my money and should buy the
Super Coolscan 5000 (at a cost of about $500 more!!).

As best I can determine, there are two MAJOR differences between the two
scanners:
The Coolscan V has a dynamic range of 4.2 while the Super Coolscan
5000 has a dynamic range of 4.8.
The Coolscan V has a 14-bit A/D converter
while the Super Coolscan 5000 has a16-bit A/D converter.

My questions is this: Do these two differences justify the added expense of
$500 or will the less expensive scanner meet my needs?

Thanks for your input.

Frank