[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 & Photoshop CS: best way toscan

I think you just need to plunge in and try various things. Everyone has
different ideas about fastest, best, etc. Personally, I can't stand the
Minolta software, won't pay $400 for silverfast for each scanner, so that
leaves Vuescan. Vuescan is a great program, but not without its quirks. It
has a rather large database of color negative films for profiling purposes,
but some recent films aren't included. However, I used the generic profile
with very good results on the 5400 with color negative film. Personally, I
can't imagine doing raw scans with color negative film, because you get a
color negative image back, of course.  I'm sure there are purists out there
who like to do this, however.

I would dismiss any notion of "fastest" when using the 5400. It is a very
slow machine. With the Minolta software and grain dissolver, it can take 7
min. per scan!! And I have a fast computer. You have to use digital ice
when you select grain dissolver with the Minolta software; with Vuescan,
you can select these independently, a big advantage. Without the grain
dissolver, the light source is extremely harsh, and fine scratches look
like the Grand Canyon.  So you will have to determine if you can scan
without the grain dissolver.

Ed