[filmscanners] Moire - Scanners vs Digicams

Hi folks,

I was looking at some 5 megapixel (Canon G5) sample images to get
some idea how the might compare against my 2820 dpi scanner.  I know
I have read in the past that, despite the large difference in file sizes and
pixel counts, a 5MP camera isn't as far behind a 2820 dpi scanner as it
might seem.

Certainly the sample G5 images looked reasonable but, on one image of
a house, the fine roof tile details had generated a fairly obvious moire
pattern.  This is something I have never come across on any of my film
scans.

Have I just got lucky on my scans or is moire more likely to happen with
digicams?  Also, does the processing affect this? The G5 image in
question was available on the Web as both a camera produced Jpeg and
as a RAW file: when I processed the RAW file in Vuescan to produce a
16 bit TIFF and applied edge sharpening in Photoshop, the moire was
more noticable than in the Jpeg - but there was also much more fine
detail than in the Jpeg.

I'm just curious to know why there seems to be this apparent difference
between digicams and scanners!

Al Bond