[filmscanners] Re: Good $300 scanner for 35mm & 120?

Ken McKaba wrote:

> I've just started exploring film scanners.  Can anyone recommend a good
> one that will handle 35mm & 6x6 that is <$300?
>
> Will I be happy with a flatbed with a transparency attachment?

The question, Ken, is what other choice do you really have witin the
constraints you suggest.

A 35mm dedicated film scanner for $300 you can do (the Minolta Dimage
Scan Dual IV would probably be my suggestion at that price) but, it
can't do 6x6. In fact, anything that can in a dedicated film scanner is
going to set you back considerably more than $300.

Therefore, the option open to you is a flatbed.  Epson has several
within your budget and some are quite good.  The biggest issue these
days is probably Newton Rings from film contacting the glass surface.
It can be a bit of a problem, but there are ways around it vis well
constructed film carriers.

Art