[filmscanners] RE: Lines in scans

Your scanline problem sounds like an issue with Polacolor and/or your CPU
and SCSI interface, but I'll relate a similar problem I had with my scanner
anyway:

I had to send my SS4000 back to Polaroid right after I bought it a few years
ago to fix a scanline problem. I was seeing single pixel dark scanlines in
the scan direction. There were 8 or ten, always in the same location and
distributed randomly across the image and across color channels. Polaroid
replaced the CCD.

Lately I've been seeing these again and suspecting dust on the CCD, I
disassembled my scanner, unbolted the daughter card on which the CCD is
mounted and cleaned the cover glass with Pec-12 solution (pure alcohol).
Since the front surface mirror was exposed, I also carefully cleaned it by
blowing as much dust off of it as I could. A really dusty mirror will lower
your image contrast. I don't really recommend anyone try this unless you an
afford to trash your scanner :-). Anyway, this got rid of many, but not all,
of the scanlines. It could be that some of the CCD cells are failing or dust
somehow got under the cover glass, I suppose.

Scott Robertson
--
Scott L. Robertson Photography
Travel, Editorial, Assignments & Prints