[filmscanners] Third-party repair options for Polaroid SS 4000?

Hello all --

I have a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 (SCSI) with a defective lamp and I was quoted
a $125 fee just to get an estimate and a minimum $400 fee for any repair. Then
the rep apparently forgot to fax the work order as promised and ignored an
online query quoting the RMA number.

This does not strike me as serious service. Also, I was surprised that Microtek
quotes a much lower estimate fee for its comparable model with shared parts. It
seems to me I could buy a secondhand SS 4000 for the minimum repair fee or buy
a more recent model from a competitor for the price quoted for a trade-up to a
SS 4000 plus (over $700).

Is there any way third-party repair can be procured?

Phil