[filmscanners] RE: another Sharpening question

> In general (I'm assuming these were captured with a CCD
> sensor) some unsharp masking benefits the image.

Seems to be true for color, and for scanners that scan B&W as RGB...since
they are using RGB filters, which are typically (more so the red, then the
blue) the cause of smear (crosstalk) and bloom (saturation)...which fuzzes
the image data...which is one of the reasons to sharpen.

For the Leafscan (or any scanner capable of this, but I don't know any
other) in monochrome mode (meaning, it scans using a single neutral density
filter, instead of using any RGB filters), I haven't had any need to
sharpen.  So, it's not just that it's a CCD sensor, but a CCD sensor with
color filters that exacerbate smear and bloom.

I've also found that the green channel needs little to no sharpening if used
as the predominant values for grayscale conversion.

Has anyone tried sharpening the channels individually for a color image?
Since I don't do much color, I never thought of that before...but it seems
like it might be advantageous, as you wouldn't lose as much detail in the
sharper channels...  Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Austin