[filmscanners] Re: SS4000 again

At 1:10 AM +0000 3/2/04, Tony Sleep wrote:
>I could see no benefit at all from the condenser head even using a
>magnifier. All I could see was marginally more blown extreme highlights,
>already a problem with the (then new) straightline  films like TMax, more
>scratches and marks. The  condenser head went back in its box and stayed
>there.

Even more extreme, the 1972-vintage Durst 4x5 purchased by my Biology
Dept. came with an optional point-source head, which was all the rage
back then for printing scientific images (such as negatives from an
electron microscope). It too was supposed to increase the sharpness
and detail one could obtain from these already contrasty negatives,
but all it did was enhance the dust and scratches. It too went back
in its box.

Regards,
Roger Smith