[filmscanners] RE: Device interface and Windows 2000

>>>I have a 6in1 internal card
>>> reader that, once "ejected or unplugged", won't come back without a
>>> system restart.  The only devices that do not cause any problem are
>>> the Epson printer (USB) and Polaroid 120 scanner (Firewire).

Not specifically on your problem; but sometimes if the unpluging and
repluging of devices does not work, you can try and go tothe Control
panel\System\Device manager and click on any of the listed items so as
tohighlight one after which click on Rescan for Hardware.  This often does
the same thing as rebooting the computer in that it will install any loaded
turned on and installed devices that the system is not recognizing as well
as sometimes reinstall missing or corrupted driver and controller files
that are on your system but whose working copies have become corrupted or
placed in conflict with something else.

Despite all the praise, USB can be a finicky form of connection.  With each
manufacturer using the specs as merely guidelines which they try to tweak
and with limited amounts of power, IRQs, DMAs, PCI slots, etc. and an
increasing number of peripherals on systems today with many being USB, there
are frequently unanticipated conflicts and problems with some devices being
more problematic than others.  I currently have a USB 2.0 video capture
device connected directly to its own USB 2.0 PCI adapter card in a Win XP
AMD 2200 cpu with 1 GB of RAM.  While it works ok, if I should need to shut
the computer down or reboot, it prevents Windows from starting up again if
it is connected during the start up.  I can replug it in after startup is
completed with no problems.  Go figure!

>> James L. Sims wrote:
>>

>>> I am having an annoying problem with my scanners and card readers
>>> interfacing with my computer.  Often, but not every time, when I
>>> turn off one of my devices or remove a media card from a card
>>> reader I encounter an alert to "eject or unplug the device" under
>>> penalty of an unstable system.  I would not mind doing this but in
>>> order to bring the device back on line I must restart the computer
>>> and, in the case of my Epson scanner (USB interface), I have had to
>>> uninstall and reinstall the drivers.  I have a 6in1 internal card
>>> reader that, once "ejected or unplugged", won't come back without a
>>> system restart.  The only devices that do not cause any problem are
>>> the Epson printer (USB) and Polaroid 120 scanner (Firewire).
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, is there a remedy?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Jim Sims
>>>
>>> ->

---