[filmscanners] Re: Off Topic: About those USB flash memorydrives...

Hi Bob,

Thank you for both the detailed explanations and the link.  I did look
at the newspaper link, and it has some interesting suggestions.

About a year or more ago, I wrote Sony and suggested that they remove
the CDR/RW drive from their high end Malvica cameras and make it an add
on, with a battery pack and 12 volt car adapter.  This 3" disk model
obviously already ran on batteries, since it was part of the camera.
With new firmware, it would have allowed for downloading from any device
(and any camera, similarly to the Kanguru (great name) drive, even if it
was via flash memory), yet be smaller (holding about 150 megs) use less
power and be pocket-portable.  It would also have removed the most
vulnerable part of the Malvica cameras from the camera (as a mechanical
device not only was it probably a battery hog, but also was the item
most likely to fail).

Anyway, Sony wouldn't listen, so the Kanguru looks like an interesting
alternative.

One think I still don't quite understand.  My digital camera, as soon as
it is attached to the USB port of my computer and turned on, obviously
communicates with the computer, because the LCD screen of the camera
reads "Communicating with computer" and the computer launches the
downloading software, and the download is both sent to the hard drive
and to a memory resident program, so I can see thumbnails of the images
on the computer screen.

Would there be no way to make the camera request info off the jump drive
and then handshake and download the image data to it, or must a CPU be
controlling the communications back and forth?

Art