[filmscanners] new Nikon scanners

My Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 has just died on me. The repair charges are not
cost effective. I will need a replacement.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the new Nikon 5000 scanner? Does
it output clearly superior scans to those produced by the Polaroid (or
equivalent Microtek?). I realize the Nikon has infrared cleaning
capabilities that are lacking in the Polaroid.

Have the Nikon scanners been mechanically reliable, in general? My Polaroid
always sounded like a coffee grinder, and died despite rather light use.

Thanks for any advice.