[filmscanners] RE: the histogram in Nikonscan

The sliders on the left at the top and bottom of the Y axis, are the Output
white and black point.

It sounds to me like you are raising the output black point, which would
indeed make the shadows of your picture lighter.

In Photoshop you will find a similar facility on the curves dialog, but it
isn't obvious (without those nice arrows) what you're doing.  On the Levels
dialog you will see two text boxes for the output black and white points,
which normally contain 0 and 255.

As to why you might edit a picture, I'm afraid to say there's no substitute
for a lot of reading and experimentation.  Six months is the normal learning
curve, I reckon, to achieve competence.  Margulis's Professional Photoshop
is useful.

Nikon scan makes things interesting because it provides you with the option
to edit directly in the Luminosity channel.  Nice...

Jawed