[filmscanners] Re: Kodak dropping 35mm and APS cameras in N.A.

> You know, back when Great Yellow Father was a (virtual) monopoly, they
> were
> a wonderful company. They actually CARED about their professional
> customers,
> and made wonderful products like the Electric Brush, which I wish I
> could
> still find. It makes dust fall off film. And they maintained production
> on
> amateur film stocks for YEARS after significant demand was gone. But
> then
> came Fuji and Ilford and Ciba and there was serious competition, and
> anything that wasn't immediately profitable had to go.

In real terms (accounting for inflation) what was the price of a roll of
Kodachrome back then?  I'm guessing it was something like 10x what it is
now - I know I couldn't afford much :-(

If EK (or whatever company you'd care to mention) could still sell at the
equivalent price today they would have no problems in keeping their care
for the customer going.

It's us, the customers, that have always demanded lower and lower prices
regardless of quality and forced the manufacturers to cut costs (and
customer care).

In the car world, if you want customer care go buy a Rolls Royce, if you
want cheapness, buy a Ford (chosen for illustration only :-)

Peter