[filmscanners] Re: FW: VueScan file size

> The harddisk/memory confusion that you mentioned has now been resolved.
> In
> 1998 the IEC approved as an international standard a new set of prefix
> names
> and symbols for the binary multiples as used in computers, so that they
> would not any longer be confused with the decimal multiples of the SI
> measurement system. You all knew that of course!
>
> So, we should now be using:-
>
> Ki (Kibi) for the Kilobinary value of 1,024
> Mi (Mebi)for the Megabinary value of 1,048,576
> Gi (Gibi) for the Gigabinary value of 1,073,741,824
> etc.

I'm a professional Technical Author / Editor in the computer industry and,
although I was aware of the new terms, I have never seen then used.

The computer world still use K and k and B and b happily.  My guess is
that the first you'll see of these is when the advertising world is forced
to use them to define disk sizes.

In the meantime folks, PLEASE use KB not kb when referring to kilobytes.

Peter