[filmscanners] scanning Kodak Gold 200 negatives

I have a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 slide scanner, and have been having lots
of trouble scanning a Kodak Gold 200 negative.  Most of the scanning I've
done previously has been with Kodak Elite Chrome 200 slides and has mostly
worked fine.  Polaroid does have a profile specifically for Kodak Gold 200
negatives.  Nevertheless, when I scan the negative, the scan invariably
comes out very dark, and the colors are oversaturated.  I have tried
scanning with other more generic profiles as well, but it doesn't help
much  I can fix the darkness and color balance problems in Photoshop
so that the image looks fine on screen.  However,
when I print the image, it shows a sort of noise or grain.  Usually, my
prints, made with an Epson 1270 photoprinter are virtually
indistinguishable from conventionally made photographs.  However, the
noise or grain in this image makes it look like a second rate ink jet
printout.  Could this be CCD noise made evident by brightening an
image that was originally very dark?  Can anybody suggest how I can
improve the quality of my scans of this image?  I don't want to give up on
getting a good scan of it, because it has sentimental value.  It
is a photo of a friend who died recently, and I wanted to send the print
to her mother.

Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein