From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Paul D. DeRocco
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 7:00 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Pixels and Prints

> From: Laurie Solomon
>
> It is very simple Paul; if you scan an image or film frame at 1200 ppi
> or above and do not down sample in PS or another editing program but
> send it on to the printer, you will be faced with this choice.  It is
> only if you DO resample downward in this case would you not be faced
> with the chouce.

But if you scan at a particular resolution, and you want the print to be a
certain size, then you've already determined whether you have less or more
resolution than the printer's native 720ppi resolution.

You can of course change the scan resolution, but in most scanners all that
does is another software resampling, so whether that's good or bad depends
upon the quality of the resampling function. My approach has always been to
scan at the native resolution of the scanner, edit and crop to my heart's
content, and then, if I suspect aliasing might be a problem, upsample in PS
to the next lower submultiple of 720.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

or body