[filmscanners] RE: Pixels and Prints

Hi Bob,

> I think you've missed my point. All images, whatever their ppi
> (correct this
> time, Austin)

I'm flattered, Bob ;-)

>, printed on Epson inkjets are upsampled by the Epson driver,
> unless they are already at the ppi which the driver requires (360ppi for
> wideformat printers and 720ppi for desktop printers) whether you
> like it or
> not. So  yes, upsampling may always result in some loss, but
> there is no way
> of preventing it other than sending your image at 360 or 720 depending on
> your printer. Since I understand that the printer driver uses Nearest
> Neighbour resampling - the poorest upsampling method according to
> many - it
> might be preferable to do the upsampling yourself with a better algorithm
> such as Vector, Lanczos, Bicubic, etc and avoid having the
> printer driver do
> it with NN.

An excellent point, one I'd like to hear more results from.  I have heard,
but have not tried, of people doing this.  The claims I heard were that the
image was improved...but of course, that's subjective, and will be quite
image dependant.

> People who think they are avoiding upsampling by sending their
> image to the
> printer as it comes are deluding themselves; the printer driver will
> upsample it to 360 or 720ppi, come what may.

One caveat...if someone is using a non-standard driver, like the Piezo B&W
driver.

Regards,

Austin