[filmscanners] Re: Pixels and Prints

Sorry, there is no hard-and-fast print resolution answer--a lot of it depends
on the
subject matter. I've gotten 11x17's I was very happy with from my 4MP Olympus
E-10. I've
also gotten 8x10's that were awful, even though there were no actual problems
like focus or
noise.

One example is people--a tight headshot is very tolerant of low resolution,
because the
details that drop out are things like individual hairs, things we don't have a
huge
objection to not seeing. 8x10s from my antique 1.4MP Sony DSC-770 look pretty
good.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is a group shot with 20 people. Here low
resolution
means faces with "monotooth" and missing nostrils and eye-whites--all things
that are
visually disturbing. 8x10s off my 4MP E-10 look awful, even 8x10s off of 35mm
don't look
that great, this is still the domain of MF.

Comparing digicam pixels to scanner pixels is misleading because scanner pixels
are
second-generation--4000 scanner pixels=2700 digicam pixels seems empirically
like a good
approximation, but I don't have research to prove this.

And comparing lines resolved between digicams and film is a little misleading
anyway--digicam generally have pretty decent MTF right down to their
theoretical limit,
then fall off to zero. On film, the MTF starts to fall off sooner, but keeps
going longer.
Assuming 3 pixels/line pair, 300 dpi can resolve a hair under 4 lp/mm. 200 dpi
is 2.6
lp/mm. Both well under the "standards" for a fine enlarger print of 6-8 lp/mm.
The catch is
that at the 3 lp/mm frequency, the 300 dpi digital probably has better MTF than
the
enlarger print, even though it loses the ultimate resolution battle. The reason
you "need"
6-8 lp/mm from an enlarger print is not so much that you can actually see that
resolution
from a normal viewing distance, but that a 10% MTF at 6 lp/mm is a good
predictor of a 80%+
MTF at 2-3 lp/mm, which is what really matters.

Roger Krueger