[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 scan Elite Tests

I had this scanner for a week; my main reason for getting it was to
do B&W scans which the Nikon 8000ED that I've had for a while is not
as good at. Scan times with the Minolta software for full res, 16bit
and no processing connected via firewire to a Mac were about 1min. 10
sec.; nearly twice as fast as the Nikon 8000. The couple of colour
scans I did were excellent and also very fast, but I did not time
them. They did not seem to take longer than the B&W scans, though.

>I managed to fiddle
>with the colour settings and the scans are now fantastic! The Canon scans
>still seems slightly sharper, but with a few levels of sharpening on PS,
>there is no real difference. I am quite fussy about the sharpness of my
>slides and the test slide I chose is very sharp under a 10x loupe. Maybe I
>should try the manual focus thing on the Minolta?

The scans I did with the 5400 showed grain without aliasing artifacts
on Delta 100 dev. in Xtol 1:3, let alone Tri-X or HP5+. That is fine
performance. It showed this level of sharpness evenly across the
frame, from center to the corners, and that without glass carriers.
It definitely showed more detail than the 8000 could, even with HP+
shot at 800 (my usual).

Dynamic range is very slightly better than that of the 8000ED.
Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to get true raw scans, so
some exposure manipulation by the scanner software always happened.
Vuescan does nominally support the scanner, but it always wants to
'warm up the lamp' for 3 or 4 minutes before every step, so it takes
40 minutes to do one scan. Useless.

The scanning software could only see the scanner just after I
rebooted, and generally could not do so again after closing the
software. It would only respond to the scanner if it was plugged in
directly to the computer, not through a hub. A USB2.0 card I bought
was not recognized by the scanner. The Photoshop plugin crashed
Photoshop continually.

So, the scanner hardware seems very good; the film holders are
excellent, the software sucks and therefore the scanner went back. I
have thousands of B&W negs I want to scan, but not with this
software. Maybe I'll try to talk to Ed Hamrick to see if he can fix
his implementation, and maybe after Minolta fixes their firewire
implementation. I think there might have been a firmware problem with
the continual inability of the software to find the scanner (even
Vuescan had problems).

My machine is a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 1.5Gb of RAM. I have three other
scanners attached to the machine, as well as 7 hard drives, a couple
of DVD and CD drives, and all is plug and play, instantly recognized
and solidly stable except for this Minolta machine.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design