[filmscanners] <Unknown Subject>

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] <Unknown Subject>
  • From: "Paul Kohl" <pkohl@gol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:58:29 +0900

About scanning and grain:
I used Kodak Recording Film for a long time. It was developed in FG
7, 1:3- very concentrated. I used an Exposure Index  that varied from
EI 50 to 400. I loved the grain. I am now scanning those negatives
using a Nikon 8000 Coolscan and am very happy with the results. A
couple of caveats: I have changed from Nikon software to VueScan and
am much happier with what I can do. Nikon software clipped tones at
both ends but really played hell with the highlights. I am also
buying a glass carrier as Recording Film is very curly and I am
having edge sharpness problems. Other than those concerns, I am very
happy with what I am able to do in matching or exceeding the image
quality of my wet darkroom work.
Paul Kohl