[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 scan Elite Tests

Thys,

I too bought one of these about a week ago.  I'm just starting on the
learning curve.

> After opening the box, I was very disappointed to find it had an
> external
> power supply which was an American version only. (110V fixed, with a
> very
> strange looking 2 bladed plug). How can they sell an $800 scanner and
> not at
> least have a 110-240V input power supply included? In fact, why not just
> build the Power supply into the scanner like everybody else? Ok, so I
> hauled
> out my old 0-24 variable power supply and connected it to the scanner.
> I'll
> go look for a power supply later.

I don't like external power supplies either, but it allows one model of
scanner to be used world-wide and presumably keeps cost down.
I feel you should have been supplied with a PSU suitable for your local
supply (mine came with a 240V supply with UK plug) - I would go back to
the supplier and complain long and loud until they gave you the correct
one. My suspicion is that you have an imported US model.

I've never had a filmscanner before so I can't compare anything, but using
the firewire connection I can do a straight scan (no ICE) of a colour
slide at maximum resolution (giving a file of 118MB) in about 3 minutes.
Including the index scan probably 5 minutes.

Peter