[filmscanners] Re: scanning TMAX 3200

on 10/15/03 1:05 PM, Austin Smith at asmith1@bellsouth.net wrote:

> It's true that high quality silver-based B&W film, when properly exposed and
> developed, has a higher dynamic range than chromogenic B&W.  It's also true
> that it is not a classic "wet darkroom" film, since it's normally developed
> by a one-hour type color lab.  However, based on my experience with a
> "consumer" film scanner, low priced scanners don't have the dynamic range to
> handle the range of density that good B&W negatives can produce, so this may
> be a moot point.  The chromogenic films are certainly convenient, especially
> for the darkroom challenged, but I don't think that there's one out there
> with all the speed that TMAX 3200 offers.

Well, you may be right.  I don't know.  But there have been some pretty good
reviews of T400 CN film, which support my observation of the great range of
this film.  If you have some lab test to refer to, I would be interested in
that.  But, really, I think that Tony made the critical observation:  you
have to adjust the curves to exploit the dynamic range.  The dynamic range
it can handle is so great that the mid-tones are flattened until you tweak
them to get where you want to be.  But the information is there on the film
if you want to exploit it.

Really, I am a relative novice with this film.  But it is very interesting
to me, as someone who wants occasionally to make B&W images on film and scan
them to produce prints.  Supposedly it is pretty good to 1600.

Here are a couple links with some review of this film.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/010427.htm

http://www.capla.org/98_nov.htm

Berry