[filmscanners] Re: scanning TMAX 3200

on 10/13/03 7:57 AM, KARL SCHULMEISTERS at karlsch@verizon.net wrote:

> Besides the sharpness of B&W film that others have commented on, B&W  film
> has much greater dynamic range than color film (some film approaches 12
> stops), an you can control contrast in  'difficult' situations via Zone
> System manipulations.
>
> Lots of reasons to shoot B&W -

Karl,

That applies to Silver B&W being used in a wet darkroom, but does it apply
to C41 B&W being scanned for digital printing?  The dynamic range
(tolerance) of color film is great, and can be pretty effective if you
stretch the contrast in digital processing.  I do like the quality of the
contrast of my C-41 B&W scanned and manipulated digitally.  If you print the
unmodified scanned image, it is indeed very flat.

Berry