[filmscanners] Re: TMAX 3200 scanning

"don schaefer" <send2ds@mac.com> writes:

I read that the Nikon LS4000 has enough resolution to scan both the
grain and the area between the grain (as opposed to "clumping grain"
problems with the LS2000 which I experienced to a disturbing degree).
This is not enough reason alone to buy the scanner, however. What makes
the most sense to me is to make a very sharp darkroom print with a wide
tonal range and scan it on a hi-res flatbed like the Epson 3200.
Result: huge file size (if you need it), minimal grain. Do what you
want in Photoshop.

>  Minolta Dimage Scan
> Elite 5400 might work well?

It has some diffusion gate that is supposed to address the problem, but
how well, with a grainy film like 3200 is questionable.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

All quite sensible, but I'd think that you could just scan the TMAX 3200
negatives straight with the 3200, if one had a 3200. 4000 dpi scans of B&W
silver film can be pretty ugly (accentuated grain and dust), and the 3200's
inherent softness just might be exactly the right thing for super grainy
films.

(Truth in advertising: the only B&W silver film I've scanned was one roll of
Tech  Pan on the Nikon 8000. I had a camera store develop the film; the
grain was quite sharp and ugly and dust stood out incredibly clearly against
the sharp grainy background. (I think the store messed up the processing,
but so far I've been too lazy to get back into processing my own B&W and put
up with XP-2. The lack of ICE with silver B&W (and the uninspired B&W on my
current inkjet) makes doing my own processing unattractive. Sigh.)

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan