[filmscanners] Re: Spam Alert: Re: Digital Cameras coming down toearth

Clive Moss wrote:
 > At 05:18 PM 9/30/2003, Arthur Entlich wrote:
 >
 >>he told me he goes to Costco for his processing and printing,
 >>and they charge something like $5 for developing and printing a 24
 >>exposure to 4x6 prints.
 >

 > Our local Walgreens' was doing 4x6s from digital media for US $0.29 each.
 > The infrastructure for getting hassle free prints mass market prints is
 > developing (so to speak)  really fast. Since the costs of kiosk  prints
 > from digital will tend to be lower (to the Walgreens of this world) than
 > chemical film development, I suspect that digital will win on both
 > convenience and cost grounds very shortly.

I just had a roll processed at Costco.  36-exp roll, two 4x6 prints per
image.  Costed $5.99  (U.S.).  That's about $0.08  per photo even if the
C41 film processing is considered as "free".  If I throw half the photos
away into the garbage, then it's still only $0.16 "net" per print.

Mike K.

P.S. - Plus they provide an "index" thumbnail print which in the above
        calculations also is considered "free".  They use Kodak paper.