[filmscanners] Re: Bored and Listless? (was RE: tantrums)

Tony Sleep wrote:
[about complaints, adverse signal/noise ratio, members running
away screaming, gene pool shrinking, incest setting in...]

> I suspect the the original motivation for the list, the exploration
> of what was new territory 5yrs ago, is now obsolete. Film scanning
> is now sufficiently familiar, current hardware and software is now
> competent enough to have run out of big questions. All that's left
> is nit-picking angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin stuff, interspersed by
> axe-grinding.

I agree the subject has lost its piquancy, and for those reasons.

> This is undoubtedly my lazy-arsed fault, or at least my
responsibility.
> I no longer provide the stimulus of review material since the effort
> was wrecking my precarious freelance livelihood. I seldom
> contribute, since I'm bored with answering questions that have
> come up 20 times before and usually progress to a spiral of
> nit-picking vituperation. I haven't even shot any film for 6months.
> Scanning old film is something I am going to be doing for some
> years yet, but new material is easier and better produced on digital
> camera. E6 is already ebbing. Apart from a dwindling pool of
> film diehards and archivists, this is how it is going to be for
most.

Hey Tony, don't carry that guilt! You don't owe anything to the list,
we all owe you!

[moderation, ignoring, killfiling...]

> I am considering closing the list entirely, as filmscanning is now
> just another tool in the box. As such, the Prodig list, or various
other
> lists or forums, may support better-balanced debate.

If you do shut down the list I won't blame you. What you've done for
me -- through your scanner reviews and this list -- has been terrific.
Thanks for doing it!

Peter Marquis-Kyle
list member since February 1999