[filmscanners] Re: filmscanners Digest for

> It`s quite possible that he is unaware of Tony`s personal email
> address, as am I, even though I`ve been a member of this list for
> perhaps a year.

While a definite possibility, he could always ask for that information
on list and direct his comments to Tony's personal address once he
obtained it if his intent was to address Tony and not the list.  That no
such effort was made might serve as an indication of laziness or the not
thinking of this option.  Thus, one has to assume that Art is correct
the post was directed to Tony with a CC intended to the list so as to
try and make them feel quilty or chastised.

> You could say something about Morgan owners? I think you just did.

No, he didn't; he said something about the nature of the remark and the
intent of the writer of those comments not about Morgan owners in
general.

> I have never contributed to this list either. I initially joined
> because I was interested in purchasing a film scanner and I wanted to
> learn about them. My lack of knowledge about scanners and scanning
> would make any contribution by me at best useless, and at worst
> counterproductive.

Not true; you could have contributed by asking your own questions
concerning film scanners and scanning, by asking for clarifications of
statements that you did not think you understood very well forcing the
maker of the statement to restate the statement in clearer form, and by
requesting clarification and elaboration of concepts and terms.

> On the other hand, it seems that 80% of the "discussion" on this list
comes
> from a group of about 10 people. I somehow imagine that there are a
> lot more than 10 members on this list, so I guess the rest of us are
> nothing more than deadweight and do not deserve to have an opinion
> this list or its conduct.

You can have whatever opinion of this list or its conduct that you want;
but you should not be surprised if the 10 members you speak of do not
take it seriously or take it as mere whining since you voluntarily
relinquished you opportunity to alter the discussion or add new topics
and issues to those being discussed.  If you leave the discussion to the
10 people, you cannot complain about what they discuss placing
responsibility on them exclusively without bearing some of the
responsibility yourself.

> On the other hand, democracies don`t work very well when faced with
> filibuster after filibuster.

Yes they do in environments like those of the list where there are not
time and space limitations on the availability and size of the forum or
areana.  Online lists and forums are of a nature that a filibuster by
some (ie., as you use it a protracted discussion) does not preculde
others from also or simultaneously engaging in alternative discussions
as it might in a formal government where authoritative decisions are
taken based on organizational rules.  We take no votes and make no
formal authoritative decisions on issues one at a time - if at all.
There is no limitation that I know of on the number or variety of
threads that can be undertaken on the list at any given time.

---