[filmscanners] Re: 8 bit versus 16

Frank,

Pardon me, but as I read this, Austin has said (paraphrasing) "I don't think
that 16 bit depths on three channels is ever required and here's why (insert
explanation of perceptive abilities of humans and the results of mixing
three channels at 8 bit depth)".  Then he has said that if you believe
different (again paraphrasing), "put up or shut up."  If you disagree with
someone and you take the affirmative position (e.g. There is a need for more
bit depth) then it is up to you, and those who agree with you to show
evidence - it is virtually impossible to prove a negative in a situation
like this.  Instead, I've seen nothing but the assertion that you "sometimes
need a greater bit depth."  I believe that you believe that you do, but with
Austin, I am an empiricist, and the empiricist challenge is "put up or shut
up!"

Sly comments are the mask of one with no evidence or basis for their
position, the place where charlatans, mountebanks and creationists hide from
the light of day.  Your comments qualify as sly digs.

Your cry that Laurie has given Austin license to continue is a continuation
of an approach that is based more on smoke and mirrors than on reality. The
simple response would be to demonstrate your case.  Laurie is much too
gentle to point out that your continued failure to do so is all the license
that Austin requires. Further, if you find that Laurie's response was
anything other than responsible, you have demonstrated a complete lack of
understanding of what she so gently said.  She didn't agree with him, she
suggested only that those who disagree provide evidence to support their
case.

Laurie tried to pour oil on troubled waters, this is not such an attempt as
it is clear that your understanding is well below her level of discourse.
This is intended to be a plain statement - "put up or shut up." Austin's
point of view is clear and he has asked for evidence to the contrary.
Either provide such evidence or SHUT UP.

(And yes Henk de Jong, if the product of your kitchen is flawed, I may well
expect to be brought into the kitchen - to you too, I suggest that you
either provide the evidence or stop making assertions that you are unwilling
to support with evidence.  It gets very old.)

Frank, if you are wondering, this isn't a flame, it is powder spread out and
if you wish, we can begin a flame.  It will probably get us both thrown off
the list (and that would be appropriate).  Your choice.

Of course, if you want to continue this discussion, why not just present
Austin with a file representing the problem you assert exists - how simple
can it get?

Brad Davis, Ph.D.

P.S. To Laurie: If I have misrepresented you in any way, I apologize.  I
think that you are the apogee of intelligence here and while I've never met
you, you are the only reason I stay on this list.  The above response is not
representative of your style or approach, but the whining is getting me
down.

When we are all gentle, then those who don't understand are given free
reign.  Or as an old Inuit proverb states, "Fear most the heedless among
you."  There is much heedlessness here now.