[filmscanners] Re: FILM CLEANING

Edwal makes a very adequate Anti-static film cleaner when used with a
lintless cloth (which can also be purchased).  I've used it for 30+ years
after nearly being excused from my class at ACCD so long ago - my darkroom
was in a heavy construction zone then. I've used it as a way of avoiding
spotting prints when I was using a wet darkroom and now as a way of avoiding
extensive use of the "clone tool" in PS.

The best solution is to have a room for doing scanning that has the same
cleanliness standards that a wet darkroom would have - I haven't achieved
that again, yet - and then use the film cleaner as a means of picking up
what little remains.  You might also try adding an anti-static brush (has
some radio-activity associated with it, but you get more exposure to radio-
activity just living).  Be aware that the dating on brush is real, and get a
new one when it times out.

Ultrasonic cleaners might be nice, but they need a medium to work in and the
exposure to those chemicals wouldn't be the most healthy thing either (after
the drain on your bank account).  Expenses in the motion picture world are
another universe altogether.  Once a slide or negative has been cleaned with
an anti-static compound, if kept in a clean place (in a sleeve) it will stay
clean, requiring only a moderate pass with the brush if you wish to rescan
it (in 16 bit - or higher, of course).

Good luck,

Brad