From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Mittwoch, 17. September 2003 04:47
To: mreddington@wanadoo.fr
Subject: [filmscanners] Canon's new digital SLR

Since traffic is quiet here (other than the hi bit "my eyes are better
than yours are" .... debate, again) and since most of use are watching
the digital camera market with interest, I just received word of an
apparently newly released Canon camera, the Canon Digital Rebel, which
takes standard EOS lenses and uses a 6.3 megapixel sensor.  It's a
lightweight SLR selling on the street for $900 US without the newly
introduced 18-55mm (equivalent to 28-90mm at 35mm frame size) lens.  The
lens adds about $100 to the price. List price of camera and lens is
$1400 US.

 From the write up, it seems to be a decent camera with some limitations
in terms of choice of features (fairly automated).  The new lens mount
will allow for some new lightweight inexpensive lens designs, but the
reviewer complained that the mirror mechanics required to accommodate
the mount made the camera noisy.  Otherwise, the camera received high
marks from PC Mag.

Still, this is the first SLR in this price range with this resolution
image sensor.  Digital camera prices are finally reaching something
approaching earth, and I may just have to buy one soon.

Even here in Canada, "point and shoot" rangefinder type digitals are
coming in at about $100 CAN per megapixel for up to 3+ meg versions
(with a zoom lens) and higher res ones with more features are between
$150-200 CAN per megapixel.

For people wanting some info about the new Canon:

http://eletters.wnn.ziffdavis.com/zd/cts?d=75-60-1-1-56644-2527-1

Art