[filmscanners] RE: 24bit vs more

Duh! Reminds me of the assertion that developed film doesn't have grain,
but "dye clouds," and about as enlightening.

> Perhaps it's true that for someone who wants the software to
> simply "hand" then a scan, Viewscan does a better job at
> automating the process.

And I presume you think this is me? How condescending. The only thing I
set most of the time in VueScan is the brightness level and accept the
rest of the defaults, doing minor touch-up in Photoshop. This is for
slide film. I have much less to do in VueScan than I do in Insight. I
don't even use the latter anymore, it is so poor by comparison. Do you
even have any experience with VueScan, or are you, as usual, just
talking through an orifice of your body that does not bear mentioning?

Also, re your tedious insistance on "proof" for every claim that people
are making regarding the usefulness they have found for > 8 bit color
scans, you know, that's like asking for yet another proof of Einstein's
theory of relativity before you'll accept it: totally passé.

> I find setting setpoints and
> adjusting tonal curves quite easy.

How does this distinguish you from most experienced scanner people on
this list?

> Or, perhaps for scanners
> that aren't all that good, all the extra processing options
> in Viewscan can be very beneficial.

I hardly ever use anything else but brightness. So maybe the SS4000 is
exempt from your dismissal of "scanners that aren't all that good."

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net