[filmscanners] RE: Re:24bit vs more

Hi Rob,

> > You should either get raw data from the scanner, or do the
> setpoints/tonal
> > curves "correctly" in the scanner software.  Keep in mind,
> every time you
> > re-do setpoints/tonal curves, you are degrading the data.  It's just a
> fact
> > of how setpoints/tonal curves work.  What the significance of that
> > degradation is, will vary greatly, so it may not be *that* bad...but why
> do
> > things twice when you can do them right the first time?
>
> Are you saying this applies when using Vuescan - especially with negs?

That is probably how every filmscanner that you or I would use, works...
The issue is the software (and possibly hardware), and how it allows you to
control this...but if you can get 8 bit data, it's got to have it's
setpoints set and tonal curves applied.  Some scanners do the setpoints
automatically in the scanner.  Some use "profiles" to apply the tonal
curves...

> Or
> are you assuming the sort of interface that Nikonscan provides?

I'm not assuming any specific interface...

> > > Getting the *right* 24
> > > bits can sometimes better be done with an image editing
> program than the
> > > scanner's interface.
> > I understand that some scanner software is lacking, and that is
> where you
> > simply should get raw data from the scanner, and learn how to
> do a better
> > job of setpoints and tonal curves in PS.
>
> OK, then I think we agree?  Other than what you mean by "raw data".

Typically, when you get high bit data from the scanner, it's raw data.  Raw
data specifically means the setpoints have not been set, or the tonal curves
applied.

What do you think raw data means?

Regards,

Austin