[filmscanners] Re: 8 bit versus 16

I don't think anyone is trying to talk you out of making and storing 16
bit scans.  If you have the time to work with that large a file, and the
disk space or other storage to do so, then go and do it. I wonder what
you'll be doing when 32 bit ability becomes available (not that I can
see any manufacturer wasting their time, but it seems there will allows
be a buyer somewhere out there (insert appropriate P.T. Barnum quote).

I think the problem is your theory doesn't actually hold any water, and
since there are a lot of neophytes and newcomers to digital scanning on
this list, who are impressionable, I see my job here is simply to warn
them that the information you are suggesting is basically without merit
and that they need not follow a path that just wastes their time and
resources (unless of course, they want to).

Far be it from me to tell someone so entrenched how to do their
scanning. ;-)

"Don't confuse me with the facts, when I'm trying to win an argument..."

Art

PS: If your negs are that fragile you'd be much better off finding
better film stock and labs than worrying about 16 bit captures.