[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 30 Aug, 2003

"malcolm" <Yokochanie@btinternet.com> wrote:

Among other sensible things:

> Having two copies gives you a much better chance.

One very important point in data backup that often gets forgotten is that
you have to check the data and media periodically. Otherwise both of your
two copies may be gone at the point you need them.

A scanner question

I scan old Japanese postcards at 600 dpi with scans at 20 mbs.
Am I using the best dpi for the scans,...most are black and white so have
great detail. Or should I be scanner higher or lower?
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Try scanning the same original at 300, 600, and 1200 dpi. Inspect the scans
closely. My guess is that 1200 dpi will record more detail. Japanese
printing tends to be incredibly high quality, even in their cheapest
paperbacks. And if the postcards are handwritten, the subtle nuances of even
ballpen caligraphy are often of incredible beauty. The Japanese take the
written word very seriously.

I'd recommend scanning at a higher dpi and saving as (low compression) jpeg.
Scanning at 1200 dpi and compressing 10:1 or 8:1 will give you file sizes
that are 40% to 50% of your 600 dpi tiffs and record a bit more detail.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan