[filmscanners] Re: Bad News on CD longevity

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Bad News on CD longevity
  • From: "" <rkoziol3@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:32:25 -0400

On 28 Aug 2003 at 13:46, Bob Frost wrote:

> I think the price of a DVD-R is cheaper per MB than a CD-R. I've just looked
> at Sony CD-R's and DVD-R's and the DVD costs four times as much for seven
> times the storage. Of course you can get dirt-cheap unbranded CD-R's but I
> wouldn't trust my files to them.

It's difficult to compare the actual costs of CD-R and DVD-R.  The CD-
R writers are now selling, as low as, $50US after all the discounts
and rebates.  This is for Brand X writers, which I personally would
not use.

CD-R blank media is very often used as an "attention getter", or loss
leader, to get you into the store.  Consequently, I have seen Fuji CD-
R blanks (made by TY) for $5 (50pk).

List prices of blank CD-R's vary so much, that it's difficult to
establish an actual price.  Anyone paying list retail price is
probably getting ripped off.

I simply write two copies of important data.  One is on a "publicly
recognized and approved by mavens brand", the other on whatever is
handy.

CD-R blanks have been a commodity product for some time.  There are
few real manufacturers.  No believable (to me) data on longevity.
Claims like "archival quality" by some of the manufacturers, mean
nothing to me, except a higher price.

In the end, if you loose you pictures, what can you do, claim your
free archival CD-R blank ? :-))  So you're really on your own.  And
the only viable method you have is to make more than one copy.

Regards,

Rich

Regards,

Rich